Saturday, June 6, 2009

Three Rivers Stadium


This was one of the concrete donut 1970’s dual purpose monstrosities. The artificial turf made it even worse. This stadium was virtually identical to Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia and I’m told it was just like the old Busch Stadium. One of the things I liked about the park were the Honus Wagner and Roberto Clement statues. Wagner has a very classic look while Clemente is larger than life. Both appropriate for the people they represent.

I attended my first two games in Pittsburgh against the Braves at the end of my 1993 ballpark tour. [Also the first time I had a Permani Brothers sandwich.] This was a very good Braves team who had lost the World Series the year before and would easily win their division this year. Deion Sanders, David Justice, and Ron Gant on offense with Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz. This was the year after Barry Bonds went to San Francisco. It was also the year after Barry was unable to throw out Sid Bream in the NLCS who scored FROM SECOND BASE! SID BREAM!

The first game I saw was a come from behind victory for the Pirates who scored 4 runs in the ninth for the win (a no decision for Smoltz). We were staying at the same hotel as the Braves and after the game a few of us went to the hotel bar to hang out. Several players made it down to the bar as well as some baseball groupies. One of the groupies came over to our table and asked my friend if he was on the Braves. Without missing a beat he said, “Yes I am. I just got called up from the minors.” She was so excited and asked if he could introduce her to David Justice. He made some excuse for Dave and she returned to her friend. I couldn’t hear what they were saying but I’m 99.9% sure the conversation went something like, “That guy is on the team.” “THAT guy? No he isn’t.”

The next day was a night game and while hanging around the hotel in the afternoon several players would come and go. As the arrived/departed they were mobbed by autograph seekers. Here was some of the worst autograph experiences I’ve ever had. First, as Ron Gant was getting into a taxi, he politely stops to sign some things and one kid gets a card signed and as he’s walking away says, “Who wants to buy this signed card!” Second, I was standing by the hotel entrance with three younger kids (around 12-14 years old). David Justice gets out of a cab and there’s just the four of us looking for autographs. Dave signs for the first kid, signs for the second kid, looks at me and walks into the hotel. I said, “Come on Dave! At least sign for the other kid!” He kept walking. Dick. On the other hand, John Smoltz was really nice as were Francisco Cabrera, Steve Bedrosian, and Don Sutton.

For the second game we had decent seats (lower level, third base side by the bag) but we walked around the stadium and watched an inning from the upper deck in straight-away center. It is by far the worst seat I’ve ever been in. It was so far away that the play was over before you heard the crack of the bat. The Braves won 6-2 and all runs in the game were scored in the ninth inning. Stan Belinda gave up all 6 runs for the Pirates.

One more thing I’ll mention about these two games. Fred McGriff played for the Braves in both of them. The significance of that is that when I began this trip Fred was a Padre and as a season ticket holder I received a letter from the team owner that assured the fans that no star talent would be traded this season! This is when the San Diego GM earned the nickname Pinocchio.


My next two games there were against the Cubs as the first games on my 1994 ballpark tour. The Pirates were now without Bonds and they would finish fourth in their division – just above the Cubs. The Bucs had Al Martin, Andy Van Slyke, and my namesake Dave Clark. The Cubs had Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, and Sammy Sosa although Ryno didn’t play in either game. The Cubs won the first game 8-4 scoring 7 of their runs in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. Dave Clark had a home run. The second game was a 9-4 win for the Pirates in a relatively uneventful game.

No comments:

Post a Comment